04 December 2006

Crash

So, MonkeyPuppy's MySpace page crashed my Firefox program. Nice.

But I must say that yikes! That's a lot of information. And the graphic near the top of the page with the woman's face covered with suggestions like: "Forward Me," "Block Me" or "Rank Me" is a bit unnerving.

What does that say about our online identities. Has MonkeyPuppy become this identity? She says "Rank ME," not "Rank my profile." The lines are blurred between fantasy and reality, between what you write and what you are. What does that say about self-esteem? The language changes the sentiment. By melding herself with her online presentation (at least rhetorically), MonkeyPuppy seemingly asks for personal approval or disapproval. Quite interesting.

OK. Full disclosure (I love saying that): I was jumping around a bit haphazardly on her page. That may have caused the crash.

No comments: