04 December 2006

Let's Hear It For The Boy

Let's toast Reality!

I failed to wend my way to this point in my post from two posts ago:

After all of my online dating, showing up at people's doors to find out they were too not-what-they-said-they-were or not-what-I'd-hoped-they'd-be, I realized there's nothing like a good, old fashioned date. In person. Yeah. I mean actually meeting the person, sensing their energy, seeing their face, smelling their [I don't know! Where am I going with this?]. I have concluded that the in-person, you-just-know, I'll-know-the-moment-I-meet-them energy exchange is the most important. We've all heard of the "He's perfect on paper" lament. And it's true. I've had that. Perfect. On paper. But not in person. Terrific, smart, talented, artistic, likes to cook, all of it. But the spark wasn't there. I need the feeling. The gut feeling. The deeper, this-is-something feeling.

AGAIN I've betrayed myself. I've clearly checked the DATING box on my profile. I've never even OWNED a My Little Pony.

1 comment:

HighlyAdorned said...

I've heard a few horror stories from online dating. I think the one benefit is that you know right away if the person at least has some of the qualities you are looking for (assuming they aren't lying!), but then you run into the 'good on paper' problem you mentioned. I haven't really 'online dated,' so my perspective is limited, but I agree that meeting someone in person and that 'spark' feeling can't be replaced.