24 October 2006

A Student Once Again

So, I spent a night last week on my brother's couch in his dorm at Harvard.

Ah, college life. Some of you in this class remember it like it was...today. Some of us, I'm afraid to say... I won't say it. David and I spent the evening watching a debate over gay marriage in a jam-packed classroom, scarfing down some cheap late-nite burritos, and hanging out in the dorm room, all avoiding work. We kibbitzed while his roommate defied distraction and managed to navigate his email inbox throughout all our procrastinations. The boys graciously vacated the living room with laptops in tow to allow me to crash well before midnight. (I talk like I'm 90. I was just tired from all this traveling.) I was startled into consciousness sometime later when two of their friends burst into the room, setting the lights ablaze and filling the room with tipsy giggles. I narrowly avoided a pounce-upon, when one of the girls crept close enough to me to realize I was not David and quickly hushed the other. David hurriedly ushered them into the bedroom wherLinke they all, riddled with glee, rode out the night. They left in the darkness leaving behind them the slam of the door. Ah, college.

I write because I discovered that Ned Lamont's daughter is in David's class at Harvard.

I write because David pointed me towards urbandictionary.com, a slang dictionary that utilizes wiki-wiki software to compile information but asks readers to rate the entries, thereby sending the most popular definitions to the top of the list. Interesting one step further from Wikipedia. As I said on our class blog, try entering "dork" for some amusing and quite shocking results.

I write because David excitedly told me about "Notebook Layout" in the View menu of Word. It allows you to take notes on your computer while simultaneously recording the teacher's lecture. Then, each bullet point is linked to the moment in the audio recording when it was made. So, you can easily refer back to your teacher's lecture to inform your sketchy notes. Damn cool.

It was fun being a student again. Wait, isn't that what I am now?

I'm on crack.

No comments: