16 October 2006

www.Aldon'sBrain.com

OK, I've got some serious ketchup to do, folks.

We had a great class last week with Aldon Hynes, noted "blogging visionary." And might I make an observation that I found fascinating. Aldon's mind seemed to work very much like the web. He would "link" to another idea from something Colin said, for example. We moved around from topic to topic in this manner through the entire class. (I did mention this to Aldon afterwards.) He seems to have adapted his thinking patterns to the online world in which he is immersed. Really neat.

And this got me thinking. (Colin said it would.) We surf as we think. Or, as may be in Aldon's case, we think as we surf. Is that right? Are you one who reads the entire article before clicking on any links for further information? Or do you zip off at each opportunity? And when you do zip off, do you retain a connection with the point-of-origin? Or do you fly off with wild abandon, willy-nilly out into cyberspace?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow

aldon as human blog/link machine

i'm thinking he'd like that...

Kindel said...

I wonder if this is why students have difficulty writing outlines and organizing essays. Our society has moved away from linear organization.

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of like Aldon in the sense that when my wife is talking to me my mind is often taking off in another direction. (Don't tell her I said that...)

Aldon Hynes said...

A thought provoking, and blog provoking entry, perhaps further illustrating the human blog/link machine hypothesis.

For some of my thoughts on this check out my most recent blog post.